Tuesday 22 March 2011

Not going to University

When I was a mere strippling, less than a third of my age now, I left school with insufficient 'A' levels to get me into university.  I also left school with absolutely no idea what to do with my life and so decided that the best thing for me was to stick my thumb out and go travelling.

As with the rest of my life before and probably since, I had no plan as to where I should go, or how long I should be away.  There was a timing constraint in that I had to be back for my sister's wedding some 12 months hence, but otherwise I was free to be away for as long as I liked.  Of course money was a factor, but I had managed to save £100 from a holiday job and considered that this would be sufficient for my needs at least until I could find some other way of earning a living.

Thus it was that on Sunday 23rd August 1970 I headed off to who knows where.  During my time away I kept a diary.  At the time I assumed that this diary would be read by parents and others that I had left behind, so I wasn't as honest as I might have been, and many scurrilous and otherwise interesting incidents have been left out.  These will and do appear in some of my stories, but as I find it very difficult to write about myself, they will be difficult to identify.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read the diary of a young man's travels in the 1970s, follow this link and download the pdf file
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByPccdeYJLKRZjA0MTZjYTItYjg5Ni00MDMzLTljMGUtOTI0OWYwNzkwMjVk&hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment