Tuesday 10 December 2013

Seasonal offering

It must be a year since I last posted anything here, because I suspect that the last thing I posted was a Christmas ditty.

Here is another Seasonal ditty which owes a bit to Charles Dickens:

Master of the Universe

Marks seven figure bonus burned the pockets of his jeans
Another Aston Martin now came well within his means.
His penthouse flat deposit came from last years bonus pack
His options and his pension fund kept future plans on track.
Life is good this Christmas, thought the banker looking down
From off his lofty balcony upon the dirty town.
Tonight Ill worship Mammon and give thanks for all my gains
And toast the banking system in plentiful champagnes

The night was cold and wet and grey, but Mark just didnt care
Hed spent a fortune getting drunk and barely had the fare
To catch a taxi home to bed to sleep the night away
And dream of all the stuff to buy with his inflated pay.
The bar had closed, his friends had gone, and now he stood again
Weaving gently on the kerb of this deserted lane
As if to make his night complete he saw with bleary sight
A taxi cab approaching him, For Hiresign alight
He slumped himself into the seat and gently closed his eyes,
Opened up his eyes again and there to his surprise
Sat Jacob, friend from student days, whod made a pile in Law
But had succumbed to early death, but now sat there before
The puzzled and bewildered Mark who couldn’t quite recall
If he had asked this ghost along, he wasnt sure at all
What actually was going on until the spectre spoke
And reassured his banker chum that this was not a joke
I diedhe said before I could enjoy the fruits of wealth
My sole concern was money; I cared not for my health
And so it was one day as I was thinking what to buy
The reaper came with sharpened scythe and told me I would die
And now I am condemned to ride in this my ghostly cab
Until I can convince one more that life is more than grab
Up all the money and the things that it can get.
I sit here evry Christmas but I havent done it yet
“Dont think Im the one to changesaid Mark whats mine stays mine
“And anyway Ive set my sights upon a DB9

The cab came to a stop beside a place Mark didnt know
A wasteland by the riverside where desprate people go.
Figures shuffled aimlessly or simply stood around
Their clothes were ragged, pride had gone; they stared upon the ground
Having seen more than enough Mark slowly turned his head
To speak to Jacob opposite but, shockingly, instead
An image of himself stared back, unwashed and dressed in rags
A bottle clutched in dirty hands, his stuff in plastic bags.
“Hi Mark” this vision said at last and took another drink
“You don’t know me yet” he said “but just in case you think
“That bankers only give it out and are themselves immune
“I’ll draw you a scenario that hums a diff’rent tune.
“Your bank collapsed from dodgy deals and you were thus deposed.
“You couldn’t pay your debts and so your creditors foreclosed
“And here you are a year ahead, you’re homeless and bereft
“You’ve taken to the bottle ‘cos there’s simply nothing left”
He paused and stared at Mark awhile then spoke again at last
“You know they say when going up take care of those you pass
“‘cause when you’re going down you may be grateful for their aid,
“Well here I am already down and you’re already made.
“You never gave a single thought beyond your greedy self”
He winked and then ironic’lly he drank the banker’s health.

In guilt Mark closed his eyes to shut his other self away
And when he opened them again the night had turned to day
“Just a nasty dream” he thought.  He was lying in his bed
But he couldn’t lose the awful feeling running through his head.
Hungover from the night before, he turned the TV on
To idly watch the news unfold but knowing all along
That Masters of the Universe like him could not be caught
By pestilence or poverty, that all things could be bought;
But then upon the screen appeared a face he’d seen before
Looking from a taxi parked before his own front door.
“I’ve come to take you back” he said “there’s very little time
For you to make amends for greed before the church bells chime
The blessings of the Christmastide, and peace, goodwill to all.
Or wallow in your cosy bed and see what will befall
You when you’re on your way to gutter land and begging in the streets
And cardboard packing keeps you warm instead of silken sheets.
The screen then switched to show the place the scene so desolate
That Mark had seen the night before depicting what his fate
Would be if he should not give up his greedy selfish ways;
The likelihood was that this could be how he ends his days.

What thoughts went through Mark’s mind just then will never now be known
But soon he turned the TV off and reached out for his ‘phone,
Speed dialled the Aston Martin sales and when they came on line
“Enquiring for my order for my bright red DB9
“I’ve come to a decision and I thought I’d let you know
“That I’m cancelling the order and instead will now bestow
“My yearly bonus from the bank upon those most in need
“Christmas is a time to give and not for selfish greed”


No comments:

Post a Comment